Saturday, July 21, 2007

Oh Yes I Did!


I got the new Harry Potter book last night at midnight. I went to Wal-Mart around 9:00 to get a bracelet to guarantee me a book and then went back at midnight to get my book. I was amazing how many people were there waiting to get their book. It took me about 45 minutes to get to the front and get my copy. I hope it was worth it. Stay tuned.


What amazed me though was the people waiting in line at 9 when I got there for my bracelet. These people already have their bracelet but they were waiting for the book. Some were reading, others were watching a movie (Polar Express...not sure why they weren't showing Harry Potter), or just talking. When I was in line last night, one the employees mentioned that people had been waiting since 5:00 to get their bracelet. Wal-Mart didn't start handing those out until 8:00.


What possesses people to stand in lines for hours?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can think of two reasons.
1) People like to be the first to have or do something. It's basically classic bragging rights.

2) For a great story. (Like yours about getting the Harry Potter book) Especially with something big like the last Harry Potter book. You see people standing in lines on TV, and you can say that you were a part of all that hooplah.

I've stood in line for a ridiculous amount of time for roller coasters, game systems (Gamecube, Wii), and books. It's always fun to brag about it later.

Richard said...

We had people sitting in line before 4:00 a.m. at Borders just to get a line ticket. Borders didn't open until 9:00 and the book didn't go on sale until the next day. I've never seen or read any Harry Potter media so I can't say I understand all the "hooplah". I won't even stand in line more than five minutes to get groceries, let alone a book. I hope you enjoy it. I've heard lots of good things about Harry Potter, but it just doesn't interest me.

Kyle said...

My mom brought one over for my wife about 12:45 last night. Of course, I think she somewhow knew her granddaughter would be up and get to see her too.

Unknown said...

Who's that person running across the grass behind your family picture?

Rachel said...

Insanity!!!! I'm with Richard, I have never had any interest in the books so I know nothing about the hoopla--Jeremy however, is a totally different story. He had to preach tonight so he is staying up all night reading. Once again--INSANITY!!!