Thursday, July 19, 2007

Back, Back, Back....

That one is gone!!!!! I thought of Chris Berman tonight from the homerun derby as the Team Park Plaza hit 3 homeruns in our nightcap.

I have been playing summer league softball with my church team and things have been up and down. We either hit well or have solid defense, rarely do we have both. I would like to challege Team Laurel to a game (to bad we have that major distance Jim).

I have been hitting quite well in fact I can only think of about 3 times that I have not gotten a hit to be on base. Tonight was a first though, tonight I hit my first over the fence homerun!!!! Unfortunately in our league they don't let you round the bases, so I didn't get to do my homerun trot that I have practiced for so many years. You may say big deal, a homerun. Let me lay this out for you. I started playing softball at Harding as a freshman in 1994. I have played ever year since then save 2 summers. Tonight was the first homrun!!! I also realized that in our doubleheader, I hit for the cycle. One single, one double, 2 triples and a homerun. What fun.

Now tonight was our first game in three weeks because of rain. I needed that time off because I was heading for the DL. Here's what happened and it's okay to laugh. My first night to play I hit a ball that allowed me stretch the hit into a triple. I thought that there would be a play at the bag so I slid. Now, if you know me at all you know I like to slide head first and did quite often in college. I am not sure what possessed me to do it this night but for some reason I felt young. I slid safely, but I knocked the wind out of me something major. The last time I tried to slide I was not as fat as I am now. I also bruised my ribs real bad. Needless to say, I will not be sliding anymore in the future. I will just get out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go dawg! I know you've been itching for that homerun for as long as I've known you. I remember how bummed you were at your last game with DXD that you never went yard. You were swinging hard that game too! What I want to know is, did you keep the ball?