Thursday, July 12, 2007

Nike + iPod




I don't know if you have heard of this before but Nike and Apple have joined forces to make running shoes. I recently learned about it and since I have started, this week, running on a consistent basis (I know can 4 days straight be considered consistent?) I decided I needed a pair of these shoes. Here's how it works. You buy a sensor that goes into the sole of your shoes, of course, you must have certain shoes made by Nike noted with a + sign. You also with the same sensor purchase receive a receiver that attaches to your iPod nano. The sensor sends data to your iPod telling you how long your have run, how far your have run, and your pace for a mile. When you are done with your run it will also tell you how many calories your burned. At various times throughout your run a female voice (male voice if your prefer) comes on and updates you on how you are doing. Now you can set perimeters for your run (i.e. distance, time, calories) and the little voice will let you know when you have completed your perimeter. Once you are done you can download your information to the Nike Plus website and it will keep a record of your progress.

One this website you can set goals for yourself and even challenge other people. I got my shoes today and already ran with them. I must say...I AM OUT OF SHAPE!!!!! I won't tell you all of my stats except to say I can't even run a complete mile without walking a little. I hope that will change in the coming days and weeks. My goal is to lose some weight and get in shape. After two years of coaching, I hate the fact that I am not in shape and I coach.

So, I plan to keep my faithful listeners up to date on my progress. Every Wednesday I will update you. Here are my goals for right now:

1. Run 25 miles in 4 weeks

2. Burn 900 calories in 4 weeks

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you're saying about the out of shape coach. It used to drive me crazy when Coach Fatty with the baby in his gut would yell at me to "stop whining and hustle" while he sat in the stands under an umbrella eating fried bacon. (O.k., I added the part about the bacon but you get the drift.) I'm glad you've decided not to be that guy.

James E. Miller said...

Run, Chad, run!

You didn't purchase those shoes at Best Buy, did you?

Tony and Lindsay said...

Hey Chad! Okay...you inspired me. I am gonna run!
We need to chat soon.