Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Time With Dad


I look forward to Thanksgiving break every year because that is time I get to spend quality time with my dad. Since I was a little kid, I enjoyed hunting. And since I was a little kid, I always hunted with my dad. This year is no different. This past Saturday, dad and I met at 5:15 am and headed to the woods. Although we didn't see anything all morning we still had time being together. In the afternoon, we both saw deer and we both missed on our shots. However, it was still a good time. Tomorrow morning we will meet again and hopefully have a little more success. Although it is great killing a big buck (I have never shot one as big as the picture), I just look forward to this time to spend with my dad.


What annual time do you look forward to spending with your parents?

2 comments:

c said...

Oh does this bring back the memories. My dad, the hunter, made me get my hunter's ed. card when I was a preteen. My entire family use to go to the deer camp in MO. My dad felt that it was very important to get my card even though I was a girl! Not there is anything to brag about here - but I got the highest grade in the class. Yep a 12 year old female beat out all the rednecks!!! My dad was so proud! I do not go hunting now nor did I do very much then - kinda not my thing - I do have the orange card.
By the way - I will say a little prayer for Bambi and his family! (This is always what we tell my dad before he goes hunting. It did not work last weekend - he got a huge one!)

James E. Miller said...

My dad and I also have hunted since I was very young. We missed a few deer seasons in the last 13 years (since I left for Harding), but just about every year we were in the woods.

My dad sold his 80 acres of land this year. So, for the first time, we had no private land to hunt on. In fact, this may have been the first time in 32 years that my dad has missed deer season.

Anyway, I have a lot of fond memories of hunting with my dad: the camp fires, the early mornings, the cold nights, the silence of the woods, and the thrill of a buck coming up on us.

My dad and I may not do much hunting for the rest of our lives (unless one of us buys more land), but we also trout fish together a couple times a year; we have been doing that since I was about 6 years old.

Yes, I have a lot of great memories with my dad in the outdoors.

I hope Laura will enjoy those things, too.

JIM