Sunday, November 12, 2006

Book Recommendations


For some reason, ever since I started teaching, I have started reading books during the summer. I am not a fan of reading but I have found a few authors that I really enjoy. Two summers ago, I ran across a Christian author named Ted Dekker. He writes futuristic books and mysteries. I had a friend mention to me one of his books called Black, it was part of a three part trilogy(Red and White are the other titles). I read them all and was hooked. Since that time I have read others by Dekker titled Three, Showdown and House (co-authored with Frank Peretti). If you are looking for books that are hard to put down then Dekker is the choice for you. Why do I share this with you, well it's because I just bought his most recent book titled Saint and I am looking forward to reading it even though it is not summer time yet.

Another author that you might enjoy, who also writes Christian fiction is Robert Whitlow. I ran across his books last summer just hanging out at a christian bookstore outlet in Branson. I would say that his books are similar to a John Grisham novel. He is a former lawyer who now writes lawyer books. His books include titles like Life Support, Life Everlasting, The Trial, The Sacrifice, Jimmy, The List, and Mountain Top (recently released).

Finally, for you men and fathers. I have read a few of the Every Man Series books. These are great books that deal with various topics that we, as men, don't want to talk about. They have even branched out into a few books for women. I have read Every Man's Battle (Sexual Integrity) and I plan to read these others that I own, Every Man, God's Man (Spiritual Integrity), Every Man's Marriage (Marital Intimacy), and Every Man's Challenge (Spiritual Growth). I even noticed last night that they have written books titled Preparing Your Son For Every Man's Battle and Preparing Your Daughter For Every Woman's Battle. Also for men, I have mentioned before the book More Than A Dad by Scot Anderson (highly recommended). I also bought a book last night by Ken R. Canfield, Ph.D. President of the National Center for Fathering. This book is titled The 7 Secrets of Effective Fathers - Becoming the Father Your Children Need. I will let you know if it is worth reading.

So there you go, no football update, so I needed something to post and after my visit to Mardel I got excited about reading again and I have a little time since football is over and baseball doesn't officially start playing until February.

What books would you recommend?

6 comments:

c said...

Preparing your daughter for every woman's battle is an excellent book for men and women to read. I know our little one is only 3 but the information and ideas are great to know about before they start asking questions. I believe everyone who has a daughter should read this book. Scott has read the one about every man's battle - he has also said it is a great book. All of that series are good choices for families/parents to read.

James E. Miller said...

I enjoy Ted Dekker as well...I've read When Heaven Weeps, Heaven's Wager and The Martyr's Song. All interesting books.

James E. Miller said...

previous post by Sara

Joice Family said...

Cassie, have you read the Preparing your Daughter for Every Woman's Battle? We both thought it would be a good one to read at this point and probably again in the future.

c said...

Joice Family,

I highly recommend the preparing your daughter for every woman's battle. I have read it and thought it was very useful and insightful for teaching our daughter about sexuality and purity. I have pages tagged and highlighted. I love the part about not sheltering our children from friends who have had sexual sin but allowing them to see the consquences of their sin. It also talks about the fact that we as humans focus on that sin but fail to focus on other sins - that seem not as relevant but are in the eyes of God. Also it describes how a daughter should see your marriage - that the only important man in the wife's life is her husband. Male friends should be in couple type situations and friends of the husband. These are just some of the issues addressed in this book. The sweetest issue addressed in the book is the one of a daughter's first boyfriend is her father. The author pointed out that this is how a daughter learns about love - unconditional love - shows the difference in love for a person and not her body. I personally think this book is a MUST read for now and later. A huge reference for down the road!!!! I hope I did not give all the info away because it is a must read if you have a girl and I am sure that the man one is a must if you have a son. I hope this helps - NOW go buy it!!! ha

James E. Miller said...

Wow. I am not convinced this is Chad's blog entry.

Reading?

Seriously, who posted this?

Actually, I am more than impressed. I have only read two or three books cover to cover in the last year. And I'm required to read in my doctoral program!

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll pick up some of the "Every Man's..." books.

JIM